Important General Awareness Questions for SBI Bank P.O & other Competitive examination (part-2) Q.51-Q100
51. A short film, Eclipse In Taregna which is about 2009 solar eclipse in Targena, a small hamlet in Bihar won the Founder’s Choice Award at which international film festivals in March 2011? Queens World Film Festival
52. Which one of the following social activist declared in March 2011 that he would sit on a fast on 5 April 2011 in Delhi in support of the introduction of Lokpal Bill to check corruption? Anna Hazare
53. British Scientists discovered a cholesterol regulating protein which plays an important role in the formation of thrombosis a kind of blood clot that can result into heart attacks and strokes. What is the name of that protein? LXR
54. A report by the Climate Group, named India’s Clean Revolution, published on 18 March 2011 revealed that the market for low carbon goods and services in India could reach 135 billion US dollars by the year___. 2020
55. A New Technology Called High Tibial Osteotomy was developed in India to cure which one of the followings? Knee Problems
56. Scientists from which one of the following countries created a herd of more than 200 cows that is capable of producing milk similar to that of humans? China
57. A study of the conservation needs of the Kimberley region showed that dozens of mammals, lizards, birds and other vertebrates are endangered because of hunting by feral cats and destruction of their habitat by wild donkeys and fires. In which one of the following countries Kimberley region is located? Australia
58. Chennai-based two-wheeler maker TVS Motor Company launched its premium Apache RTR 180 bike on 11 March 2011. Which unique technology does the bike boast of? anti-lock braking system technology
59. TPG and the Shriram Group will take over which one of the following retail chains through a joint venture subsidiary of the two companies- TPG Wholesale Private Limited? Vishal Retail
60. Nippon Life in March 2011 agreed to pick up what percentage of shares in Reliance Life Insurance for Rs 3602 crore marking the single largest foreign direct investment in the insurance sector and the first M&A transaction after IRDA capped life insurance charges in October 2010? 26%
61. India's largest carmaker, Maruti Suzuki India Ltd rolled out its 10 millionth car on 15 March 2011. Which car was Maruti Suzuki’s 10 millionth car? blue Wagon-R
62. IT hardware firm HCL Infosystems announced on 17 March 2011 that it bagged an order worth Rs 300 crore from which to deploy Wideband CDMA-based portable wireless network? Indian Air Force
63. Hindustan Unilever’s toothpaste brand Close Up tied up with which gaming portals for the Close Up’s new variant Fire-Freeze? Zapak.com
64. An Inter-Ministerial Group (IMG) to monitor the process of their release of 53 Indians on five hijacked ships being kept hostage in Somalia was decided to set up. Name the Cabinet Committee which in its meeting on 11 March 2011 decided to set up the IMG. Cabinet Committee on Security
65. Which missiles was not test-fired on 11 March 2011 by India’s Strategic Forces Command (SFC) establishing readiness of India’s nuclear deterrence systems? 1. Dhanush 2. Agni-IV 3. Prithvi-II 4. Ballistic Air Defence Missile System 2 & 4
66. A devastating earthquake struck Japan on 11 March 2011 shaking buildings in a large swath of the country and giving rise to a 30 foot tsunami. What was the magnitude of the earthquake that hit Japan? 8.9
67. Japan declared states of emergency for five nuclear reactors at two power plants after the units lost cooling ability in the aftermath of the powerful earthquake that struck on 11 March 2011. Which are the two nuclear plants where Japan declared a state of emergency following the earthquake?
1. Fukushima Daini site 2. Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant 3. Kushima Nuclear Power Plant
4. Ashihama Nuclear Power Plant 1 & 2
68. Which Indian river-island was nominated by the Indian government to be included in the cultural landscape category of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) World Heritage list? Majuli
69. Who among the following list of journalists was on 15 March 2011 conferred the Chameli Devi Jain award 2010 for an outstanding woman media person? Shahina K K
70. Bollywood's own Razzies, the annual Golden Kela Awards named which actor was selected as the worst
actor for his role in a film released in 2010? Shah Rukh Khan for My Name is Khan
71. Mauritius has conferred one of his highest honours, Grand Commander of the Order of the Star and the Key of the Indian Ocean, on which presidents? Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed
72. Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released its latest report on trends in the international arms trade on 14 March 2011. According to the report which country has been the world's biggest weapons importer over the past five years? India
73. Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released its latest report on trends in the international arms trade on 14 March 2011. When did SIPRI come into being? 1966
74. Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on 11 March 2011 announced in Lok Sabha an increase in the allocation under the Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLAD) Scheme from Rs.2 crore to Rs.5 crore per Member. When was the MPLAD scheme introduced? 1993
75. Union Minister of Finance Pranab Mukherjee declared in the Lok Sabha on 11 March 2011 the extension of the existing Interest Subvention Scheme of providing short term loans to farmers at 7% interest with additional interest subvention for timely repayment to which group? Fishermen
76. Indian agriculture needs Rs 108000 crore to fight climate change in the next five years to ensure food for all at a reasonable price by 2020. National Mission for Sustainable Agriculture is implemented under which?
Prime Minister's National Action Plan on Climate Change
77. Read the following sentences with regard to NSIC.
1. National Small Industries Corporation (NSIC) is a public sector undertaking under the ministry of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME).
2. NSIC was awarded the Mini Ratna status by the Indian Governmnet on 3 March 2011.
3. NSIC has a marked presence both in the service as well as the manufacturing sectors.
4. NSIC acts as a facilitator to promote small industries through various user-friendly and demand-driven schemes
Which sentence/sentences is/are not true with regards to NSIC? Only 3
78. In February 2011 imports rose to $31.70 billion, up 21.2 per cent over the same period in 2010 while exports rose 49.8 per cent to $23.60 billion. What was the trade deficit in February 2011? (-)8.1 billion
79. The Reserve bank of India on 17 March 2011 increased the interest rate at which it injects liquidity into the banking system by 25 basis points to 6.75 per cent (repo rate). It also revised its inflation projection for March-end 2011 from 7 % to _? 8
80. An international team of scientists, led by the Australian National University recently discovered evidence that the body’s immune cells often share information about foreign substances with each other to ward of invaders. The study can help increase the immunity level in human body against pathogens and cancer. Whichs are the symptoms of Cancer?
i) Weight Loss ii) Excessive Sweating iii) Lumps and Swelling (tumour) iv) Enlargement of Spleen
Please choose the correct option: i, ii, iii and iv
81. According to an extensive genetic study on modern humans, two conclusions were drawn out.
i) There is an enormous amount of diversity in the African hunter-gatherer populations.
ii) The genetic diversity among 27 present-day African populations originated in southern Africa and progressed to northern Africa. Which of the above statements is/are correct? Both i and ii
82. A massive Tsunami caused by a devastating earthquake of the 8.9 magnitude hit about 400 km north-east of Tokyo, capital of Japan. Consider the following statements regarding Tsunami.
i) A Tsunami is a series of ocean waves that sends surges of water, reaching heights of over 100 feet onto land.
ii) Most tsunamis, about 80 percent, happen within the Pacific Ocean’s Ring of Fire, a geologically active area where tectonic shifts make earthquakes and volcanoes common.
Which of the above statements is/are correct? Both i and ii
83. A massive Tsunami caused by a devastating earthquake of the 8.9 magnitude hit about 400 km north-east of Tokyo, capital of Japan. Where is the Pacific Tsunami Warning System headquartered? Hawai
84. A massive Tsunami caused by a devastating earthquake of the 8.9 magnitude hit about 400 km north-east of Tokyo, capital of japan. What are the possible factors which can cause Tsunami?
i)An Earthquake ii) A landslide iii) A volcanic eruption or explosion iv) Impact by a meteorite
Please choose the right option i, ii, iii and iv
85. As per the official data released by TRAI on 9 March 2011, which state in MNP Zone-2 recorded the maximum number of request for mobile number portability by end of February 2011? Karnataka
86. The Enforcement Directorate has booked Pune-based real estate agent and stud farm owner Hasan Ali Khan under section 3 of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA), 2002. When did PMLA come into existence? 2005
87. The e-commerce portal of India Post, was launched by Union Minister Kapil Sibal on 9 March 2011 provide postal services online. Which among the following is the correct name of the portal? e-post office
88. Steel tycoon Lakshmi Mittal overtook Mukesh Ambani to become the wealthiest Indian as per the annual Forbes list of World Billionaires for 2011. What is Lakshmi Mittal’s ranking in the list? Sixth
89. According to the Economic Survey of India 2010-11, Forex Reserves estimated at __ US dollars. 297.3 billion $
90. Consider the following statements regarding the Economic Survey of India 2010-11.
i) Agriculture likely to grow at 5.4% in 2010-11 ii) Trade Gap narrowed to 82.01 billion US dollars in April-December 2010 iii) 59% rise in Bank Credit
Please choose the right option: All the three statements i, ii and iii are correct
91. India’s External debt stood at 295.8 billion US dollars at the end of September 2010, recording an increase of 33.5 billion US dollars ove the level of end-March 2010. The rise in debt was largely due to
i) Higher Commercial borrowings; ii) Short-term trade credits iii) Multilateral government borrowings
Please choose the right option: All I,ii and iii
92. Consider the following statements:
1. India’s exports crossed the USD 200 billion mark in the first eleven months of the 2010-11 fiscal.
2. The trade gap for the first 11 months of the financial year 2010-11 stood at USD 97.1 billion.
3. African countries and Japan were the traditional markets for Indian exporters during the 2010-11.
4. The current forecast for the 2011-12 is USD 230-235 billion.
Which of the statement given above is not correct? 3
93. Foreign Minister of Brazil Antonio Patriota, reached India for a five day visit on 5 March 2011 for the Bilateral and the IBSA Ministerial meetings. What was the major agreement signed between Indian & Brazil during this period? Air Services Agreement
94. Which days in March is observed as the International Children Broadcasting Day? 6 March
95. Singapore on 5 March 2011 appointed Brigadier General Ravinder Singh as its next army chief. Who was the first ever Sikh and non-Chinese to take up the post of army chief of Singapore in 1982? Colonel Mancharan Singh Gill
96. Which state recently announced 2-year child care leave for its women employees? Uttarakhand
97. The Foreign Ministers of the Least Developed Countries (LDC) and India attended the India-LCD Ministerial Conference on 18-19 February 2011. Where it was held? New Delhi
98. What was the theme of International Women’s day in 2011? Equal Access to Education, Training and Science and Technology: Pathway to Decent Work for Women.
99. Illinois became __th State of the United States to abolish the death penalty when its Governor Pat Quinn announced the decision on 9 March 2011? 16th
100. Which Indian pharmaceutical company entered into a joint-venture with the US' Merck & Co on 11 April 2011 to develop and manufacture innovative, branded generic medicines for the emerging markets? Sun Pharmaceutical